Saturday, February 25, 2012

AS 2000, Excel 2003 and calulated measures

Hi

I have created a calculated measure - which when i view in the Analysis Manager - Browse it displays what I need.

In my Excel Pivot Table I cannot see the field when I Show Field List? is it possible to have calc members in Excel 2003?

however, my initial problem is this (and I am hoping someone can come up with a better solution):

I have a fact table that is simply number of hours worked per month and linked to dimensions such as the customer. Each Customer has a budgeted time (which is on the customer dimension) - I need to include this budget.

I have a separate cube that is the detail of the budget and I have tried creating a virtual cube - the problem with this is the budget is only visible if I use dimensions from that cube and the hours are only visible when I use dimensions from that cube - I would liek to see them together. (the dimensions in both cubes are identical)

Anyone?

Steve

Sounds like you have a bunch of private dimensions in your cubes. Its been a while since I worked on 2K, but i think global dimensions (dimensions that can be shared in virtual cubes) are called "shared dimensions". If you used the wizard to create the dimensions and cubes I think it defaults to adding dimensions as private.

|||

That may solve the virtual cube issue - thanks.

Any idea why I cannot see a calculated member in Excel while I can see it in the MMC browser?

Thanks

|||

Shared dimensions and virtual cubes work a treat - thanks.

Apparently, a calculated measure that is based on a dimension table does not appear in Excel 2003!!

No comments:

Post a Comment