Saturday, February 25, 2012

AS 2005 - errors after password change

Hello all

I changed the password that I use in AS 2005 to connect to my SQL Server database. I changed it in the data source, so when I go into the connection there, I can
connect properly (when I click the Edit button for the Connection
String, and then hit Test Connection).

However, when I go to a dimension, and try to process it, I get the
error:

OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Login failed for user
'[MyUserName]'.; 42000.

Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be
made to the data source with the DataSourceID of '[MyDatabaseName]',
Name of '[MyDatabaseName]'.

I've tried all the ImpersonationInfo options - use specific name and
password, use service account, credentials of the current user, and
default. When I use the "specific name and password", it never saves the
password information.

Also, in the Connection Manager, under SQL Server Authentication, it
has an option to save password. It also NEVER saves the password in
there. So, when I first input my login, password info, and hit 'test
connection', it succeeds. Then, when I click ok, then shut down the
Data Sources properties, and then reopen it, the password has
disappeared.

What am I doing wrong? Where else do I need to change the password?

Thanks,
Sylvia

You are doing nothing wrong.

More to it, Analysis Server does saves your password as soon as you deploy your solution to the server. The problem is with securtiy.

Once you've provided your password to SQL Management Studio and you saved your datasource definition, Analysis Server saves the password in the encrypted form. But to adhere to highest stadards of security, Analysis Server will never send password out. And even if SQL Management studio will try to display datasource dialog for you, Analysis Server will provide SSMS with all data source properites but not real user password.

So for you it should be simple matter of editing data source in the SQL Management studio, saving it and trying to process your dimension or partition.

Edward Melomed.
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

|||

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm not quite following what I need to do here, in order to be able to process my dimesions and cubes.

I've gone into the SQL Management Studio, into the one data source I have, gone into Properties, edited the Connection String by clicking the three dots. That brings up the Connection Manager. This is where I choose SQL Server authentication, put in a user name and password, and then click Test Connection, which always succeeds. I click OK once for Connection Manager, OK again on the Data Source properties. There's no option to save that I can see.

Then, when I do the same thing again, the password is blank, and I cannot connect without retyping it. And, I cannot process a dimension. I'm almost certain I used to get the failure that was something like "password incorrect for login (mylogin), but now I'm getting the following:

Errors and Warnings from Response
The following system error occurred: The parameter is incorrect. .
Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'XXX', Name of 'XXXX'.
Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the dimension, with the ID of 'DashboardNew', Name of 'XXXX 'was being processed.
thanks,

FYI - this is from a database migrated from AS 2000.

In Microsoft Visual Studio, I get this error:

The following system error occurred: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. .
Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'XXXX' , Name of 'XXXX' .
Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the dimension, with the ID of 'XXXX , Name of 'XXXX' was being processed.

Where else to I need to save connection information? This worked previously, it's just after I changed the SQL Server login password that I'm getting errors.

Sylvia

|||

Hi Can someone help we the error i am facing..

<Batch xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine">
<Parallel>
<Process xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Object>
<DatabaseID>Dummy1</DatabaseID>
<CubeID>Puts</CubeID>
</Object>
<Type>ProcessFull</Type>
<WriteBackTableCreation>UseExisting</WriteBackTableCreation>
</Process>
</Parallel>
</Batch>
Processing Dimension 'User' completed successfully.
Start time: 10/17/2006 8:33:13 PM; End time: 10/17/2006 8:33:39 PM; Duration: 0:00:26
Processing Dimension Attribute '(All)' completed successfully.
Start time: 10/17/2006 8:33:13 PM; End time: 10/17/2006 8:33:14 PM; Duration: 0:00:01
Processing Dimension Attribute 'USER NAME' completed successfully.
Start time: 10/17/2006 8:33:14 PM; End time: 10/17/2006 8:33:39 PM; Duration: 0:00:25
Errors and Warnings from Response
The following system error occurred: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. .
Errors in the high-level relational engine. A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'Puts', Name of 'Puts'.
Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the dimension, with the ID of 'User', Name of 'User' was being processed.
Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while the 'USER NAME' attribute of the 'User' dimension from the 'Dummy1' database was being processed.

1) my connection to database is well establised and i can see that from data source.

2) using data source view, when i go to tables, and right click and say Explore, i can see the data in BI management studio.

so, when i use Process for the cube or when i run Deploy, it gives the above error.

Could anyone please help me out.

Thanks so much,

Kushal

kushal_k@.hotmail.com


|||

Couple of simple ways to deal with the problem;

1. Use Windows authentication in SQL Server

2. If you cant: Script your data source object in SQL Management studio and enter username and password for the connection there and send script back to the server.

Edward Melomed.
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

|||

Thanks Edward.

For the second step, could you be pls bit more clear as i am new to this IDE.

Does it mean that i need to create a Data Source first in Sql Server 2005 Analysis service and then use the generated script in BI management studio?

Thanks,

Kushal

|||

No problem.

After you've created your project in BI Dev Studio and tried to deploy, the database has been created in Analysis Server.

Open SQL Management studio.
Connect to Analysis Server.
Navigate to your data source
Right click menu->Script Data Source As->Alter To->New Query Editor Window.
In the script that appears you can modify connection sting to contain username and password of your choice.

Edward Melomed.
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

|||

Thanks a lot Edward. you help was indeed great.

It's working fine now.

Cheers!!!

Kushal

No comments:

Post a Comment