Sunday, February 12, 2012

Are there updated instructions for the install of CTP and VS beta?

Add me to the walking wounded over the weekend with this beta install.

I have a development laptop that I want it all to reside on.

Installed the VS beta and the April CTP in that order and Client tools were missing.

I removed both, CTP by using the tool that was on the cd and VS by Add/Remove programs.

There are so many threads, it is hard to figure the correct path.

Isn't there a updated install instruction set?

Thanks to all,
Mike
I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to get installed. The steps for the April SQL Server CTP and VS Beta 2 (assuming you install SQL Server Express with VS)are:

Working around the Tools.msi issues with Express:

Scenario 1: Install VS w/ Express First

1) Install VS with Express

2) Go to Add/Remove Programs and remove "SQL Server Tools Express"

3) Install SQL Server Beta SKU with Tools

Scenario 2: Install SQL Server Beta First

1) Install SQL Server Beta w/o Tools

2) Install VS with Express

3) Go to Add/Remove Programs and remove "SQL Server Tools Express"

4) Rerun SQL Server Beta setup and select tools

If you want the latest SQL Server CTP, the June CTP and VS Beta 2 you will need to do the following:
1) Install VS Beta 2 (do not install SQL Express)
2) Uninstall .Net Framework
3) Install SQL Server June CTP

Let me know if I've totally missed your question.

Dan

|||Dan,

I received the new June CTP CD on Tuesday and Installed it before seeing your message today. I'm doing this all on my Laptop running XP Home.

I installed it and I have all my client tools and every thing seems to work in the SQL Server Management.

Seems that it also installed this:
MS Visual Studio 2005
Version 8.0.50215.44
MS .Net framework
Version 2.0.50215

I will need the Express since I'm trying to evaluate a local data cache and synchronization with the server. I am doing this all on one machine.
I did get 2 warnings, one on my machine which does have the minimum requirements, the other was on IIS not being installed.

I was originally shipped the MS VS2005 Team Suite Beta 2, Team Foundation Server and the SQL server 2005 Development Edition April CTP all on CD's.

So to get Express and the rest of VS, what should my plan be?


Thank you,
Mike Davis
|||Hi Mike,

The VS SQL installed on your machine is a shell only release and is used as the home for Business Intelligence Developer Studio.

To install Express I suggest you download the June CTP of Express from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1A722B0F-6CCA-4E8B-B6EA-12D9C450ED92&displaylang=en

Do not attempt to install Express from the Visual Studio Beta2 CD - it will fail as different builds (releases) of SQL Server 2005 are not supported side-by-side.

As for Team Foundation Server, I'm not sure if they're supported on the June CTP. But you could go ahead and follow the installation instructions provided but use the June CTP rather than the April CTP.

One word of caution - do not replace the .Net Framework that came with the June CTP with the one that came with the April CTP/VS Beta 2.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment