Sunday, February 12, 2012

Are these the correct steps? Encrypted Connection String and Security

Hi,

Assume I have an asp.net/sql server 2000 web app in a shared hosting
environment. I then encrypt the connection string using
ProtectSection("DataProtectionConfigurationProvider") in the page load
of my default.aspx page.

Am I understanding the following concepts then correctly?

1. I upload the site to the shared hosting server.
2. The first time I run the app eg. www.whatever.com/default.aspx,
the ProtectSection method above is executed.
3. Now the conn string area of my web.config is encrypted, and
asp.net will decrypt as needed.

4. If someone were to hack the server and view the web.config --
whether via getting into the server or via ftp, they would see an
encrypted connection string.

Thanks very much!If the hosting server is shared then there is a risk, if not you have to rely upon the ISP.

No comments:

Post a Comment