Thursday, March 22, 2012

ASP and SQL Server

I am moving from Access 2000 to SQL Server. I am using ASP. Is there anything I should change in the ASP while migrating? Any ideas would haelp. Thanks.Hi,
I passed through the same situation, so I can be a bit of usefull for you.

Two changes can be done when moving from Access to SQL Server.

The first one is required, it is the connection string to oped the database.

The second is optional, you can move some of the procedures to the SQL Server database it self as a Stored Procedures so things will run faster. This step is not required but it helps.

Now, start by changing the connection string and use the IMPORT EXPORT wizard in SQL Server to transfer your existing data, or use the UPSIZE wizard in Access 2000 to transfer your existing data.

Hope this helps as a first step.

good luck|||Thanks a lot, this really helps.
So do you think it's better to move only the data to SQL Server instead of migrating everything?
I am using forms to enter data, and I am wondering if it is better to leave the forms in Access to enter data in SQL Server. Thanks.|||Well, I am glad that my experience could be usefull for you.
As I know, you can't have forms in SQL Server, so you can migrate:
Databases
Tables
Queries

Thats all

If you have more data to be intered you can use your forms to enter it in Access DB first then, migrate it to SQL Server DB.

Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment