Thursday, March 22, 2012

ASP COM and database access

Hello All,

I am currently creating a browser interface for our thick client which
was built on Visual Basic using COM ( a three tier environment). We
support environments where the SQL database server is separate from the
application server.

The problem I am facing is this.

When I try to access the database server from the ASP page through the
COM object, I get access denied. This is because the COM is running
under the IWAM account and it does not have access to the database
tables. Since this is a system account I cannot add it to the database
server which is on a different machine possible a different domain too.
When I gave anonymous access to the database server, it worked fine but
this is obvously not a solution I want. The other option is to create a
COM+ wrapper for every objects (possibly 100)which can be run under a
specific account. But this will be a huge task.
Are there any other options? Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks
SatishHi.I think this id COM fault not Database server.

Try to change access permissions using "dcomcnfg". On the Server where
IIS running.
Add IWAM account to allow access and to launch com objects.
It woks fine in my case. And i had the same situation.

sss wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am currently creating a browser interface for our thick client
which
> was built on Visual Basic using COM ( a three tier environment). We
> support environments where the SQL database server is separate from
the
> application server.
>
> The problem I am facing is this.
>
> When I try to access the database server from the ASP page through
the
> COM object, I get access denied. This is because the COM is running
> under the IWAM account and it does not have access to the database
> tables. Since this is a system account I cannot add it to the
database
> server which is on a different machine possible a different domain
too.
> When I gave anonymous access to the database server, it worked fine
but
> this is obvously not a solution I want. The other option is to create
a
> COM+ wrapper for every objects (possibly 100)which can be run under a
> specific account. But this will be a huge task.
> Are there any other options? Any ideas are appreciated.
> Thanks
> Satishsql

No comments:

Post a Comment