Thursday, March 22, 2012

ASP returning null sized field from MS SQL database

We currently have an SQL db running on a web server.
One of these fields is a large(ish) amount of text data up to 400
characters and has been cast variously as varchar, nchar and text
type to overcome a problem. The problem appears to be in retrieving
the data via ASP. I understand that ASP can handle string data of this
size so I am okay there.
When the records are retrieved from the db, the data string length =0.
I know the data is there because I have written a Delphi data manager
which interrogates the db and shows all records and their contents.
So if ASP can handle strings this size and the data is there, why do I
get a data length of zero bytes returned when I interrogate the record
set?
Whichever way I cast this field I get the same result.

I know the code is sound as it works locally through a MS SQL server
on my PS.
Anyone have this problem or know what's causing it? I have logged a
support call with my hosting company, but they haven't replied as yet
and I am stuck on an urgent project.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
GrantGrant Davis (grant@.gbdavis.com) writes:
> We currently have an SQL db running on a web server.
> One of these fields is a large(ish) amount of text data up to 400
> characters and has been cast variously as varchar, nchar and text
> type to overcome a problem. The problem appears to be in retrieving
> the data via ASP. I understand that ASP can handle string data of this
> size so I am okay there.
> When the records are retrieved from the db, the data string length =0.
> I know the data is there because I have written a Delphi data manager
> which interrogates the db and shows all records and their contents.
> So if ASP can handle strings this size and the data is there, why do I
> get a data length of zero bytes returned when I interrogate the record
> set?
> Whichever way I cast this field I get the same result.
> I know the code is sound as it works locally through a MS SQL server
> on my PS.
> Anyone have this problem or know what's causing it? I have logged a
> support call with my hosting company, but they haven't replied as yet
> and I am stuck on an urgent project.
> Any suggestions?

Yes one: Post the relevant pieces of your code. Today it is a beautiful
day here in Stockholm, the sun is shining from blue skies. Nevertheless,
I am completely in the dark about what you are doing.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment